Pages

Saturday, June 1, 2013

A pattern through the centuries

A while ago I was in Córdoba and saw this pattern:
Vor kurzem war ich in Córdoba, wo ich dieses Muster gesehen habe:
Hace poco estuve en Córdoba donde vi este diseño:

Synagoge Córdoba, ca. XVI th century
Then we went to the Mezquita, there was a little exhibition of the Christian finds in this place before the Muslim building... and I noticed this:
In der Mezquita war eine kleine Ausstellung mit frühchristlichen Funden von dieser Stelle bevor das islamische Gebäude errichtet wurde. Dieses Muster fiel mir auf:
En la Mezquita estuve una pequeña exposición con los restos del templo cristiano que se encontraba aquí. Vi este diseño:

Basílica de San Vicente Mártir, Cordoba, V th century
Being more aware of interlocking circles, I looked closer at my feet:
Nachdem ich auf verschränkte Kreise aufmerksam geworden war, schaute ich auch genauer auf den Boden:
Después de interesarme por los círculos conectados, miré el suelo delante de mis pies:

Hydrant, XXI century
And then I remembered having seen Roman mosaics in Sevilla:
Und dann fiel mir ein, dass ich römische Mosaiken in Sevilla gesehen habe:
Y por fin recordé los mosaicos romanos que he visto en Sevilla:

Plaza Encarnación, Sevilla, ca. I century
And why do I write about all this? Because I know this pattern well :-))
Und warum schreibe ich überhaupt darüber? Weil ich dieses Muster gut kenne :-))
¿Y Porque estoy escribiendo sobre este? Porque conozco el diseño muy bien :-))

catalogue González Hermanos, 1917
P.S. Don´t tell me the patterns are different; if you turn some of them diagonally, you will see!
P.S. Und erzählt mir nicht, dass die Muster verschieden sind; manche muss man diagonal drehen, um es zu erkennen!
P.D. ¡ Y no me digas que los diseños son diferentes, girarlos por 45° y veras!

1 comment:

  1. Great post that demonstrates how classic patterns never go out of style!

    ReplyDelete